History of Belmont
Belmont counts both Ben Hogan and Sam Snead among its champions. Hogan captured the 1945 Richmond Invitational, while Snead earned the 1949 PGA Championship, becoming the first player at the time to win both the Masters and PGA Championship in the same calendar year. Also competing in that 1949 PGA was the first career Grand Slam champion, Gene Sarazen.
In 1977, Henrico County purchased Belmont from Hermitage C.C., with the course transforming into one of Richmond’s only true public golf facilities. Annual rounds on the 18-hole layout peaked in 1992 at 55,000.
Over time, however, as the number of rounds decreased and the cost of maintenance for the course increased, Henrico County began exploring non-golf plans for the property. The response from the community was clear – it wanted Belmont to remain a golf course.
First Tee Partnership
Our goal is to provide this beautiful game and property to every member of the community.